As a Parent – Family Visa
What is a Family Visa as a Parent?
A Family Visa as a Parent, also known as UK Parent Visa, is a type of visa for parents who wants to join their child in the UK. The child must be living in the UK with one of the following categories of status:
- they are a British citizen
- they are settled/ have Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK
- or, if the applicant is applying in the UK, they have lived in the UK for 7 years continuously.
Under this category, ‘parent’ means:
- a natural (biological) parent
- an adoptive parent
- a step-parent where the biological parent has died
Keep in mind that if you are eligible to apply As a Partner, you must do that instead of applying as a parent.
How long you can stay?
You will get permission to stay for 30 months (2.5 years) when your initial visa is granted. After this you will need to apply to extend your stay.
What are the eligibility requirements for the Family Visa as a Parent?
You need to meet the following requirements:
- your child must either
- be under 18 on the date you apply
- have been under 18 when you first applied for the visa and not live an independent life
- your child must be living in the UK either as a British citizen; have Indefinite leave to Remain; or have lived in the UK for 7 years continuously and it would not be reasonable for them to leave
You also must meet the following requirements:
- be able to prove that you’re taking an active role in your child’s upbringing and you plan to continue after you apply
- prove you have a good knowledge of English
- be able to financially support yourself and your child without claiming public funds
How can I settle in the UK under this visa?
There are two routes that you can use to settle in the UK as a parent:
- 5 year route – if your child was a British citizen or settled in the UK
- 10 year route – if your child was a British citizen or had lived in the UK continuously for at least 7 years and it is not in your child’s best interests to leave the UK.
To give your case the best chance of success, get in touch
To give your visa the best chance of success, and to reduce your stress, please contact our immigration experts.
If you wish to speak directly with one of our immigration specialists to get advice about business and personal immigration, or education in the UK and other visa issues, then please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone T: +44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form. You can also email us at email@example.com. More information can be found from Contact Us.
*Disclaimer: The above information is for general reference only. Specialist legal advice should be sought.