As a Partner – Family Visa
What is a Family Visa as a Partner?
If you intend to join your partner in the UK and they are either a British citizen or are settled in the UK, then you can apply for a Family Visa as a Partner, also known as a Spouse Visa or Unmarried Partner Visa. It is also applicable for the ones applying as a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner. You can apply for this category from either outside or inside the UK.
How long can you stay?
For the initial application, you will get permission to stay in the UK for 2 years and 9 months, or for 6 months if you are applying as a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner.
After this you will need to apply to extend your stay, generally for further 30 months (2 years and 6 months).
What are the eligibility requirements for a Spouse Visa?
- you and your partner both need to be 18 or over
- your partner must also either
- be a British citizen
- have settled in the UK
- be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status
- have a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa
- have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
- you and your partner must intend to live together permanently in the UK after you apply
- you need to prove you have a good knowledge of English
- you are able to financially support yourself and your dependants
How can I settle in the UK under a Spouse Visa?
The earliest you can apply to settle in the UK (called ‘indefinite leave to remain’) is after you have lived in the UK for 5 years continuously on a family visa as a partner. You are also entitled to apply for British citizenship immediately after you obtain an indefinite leave to remain status, and do not have to spend 12 months in the UK becoming a permanent resident.
To give your case the best chance of success, get in touch
To give your visa the best chance of success, and to reduce your stress, please contact our immigration experts.
If you wish to speak directly with one of our immigration specialists to get advice about business and personal immigration, or education in the UK and other visa issues, then please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone T: +44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form. You can also email us at email@example.com. More information can be found from Contact Us.
*Disclaimer: The above information is for general reference only. Specialist legal advice should be sought.
Latest update: July 2021