As a Partner – Family Visa

As a Partner – Family Visa

What is a Family Visa as a Partner?

If you intend to join your partner in the UK and they are either a British citizen or are settled in the UK, then you can apply for a Family Visa as a Partner, also known as a Spouse Visa or Unmarried Partner Visa. It is also applicable for the ones applying as a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner. You can apply for this category from either outside or inside the UK.

How long can you stay?

For the initial application, you will get permission to stay in the UK for 30 months (2.5 years), or for 6 months if you are applying as a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner.

After this you will need to apply to extend your stay, generally for further 30 months (2.5 years).

What are the eligibility requirements for a Spouse Visa?

  • you and your partner both need to be 18 or over
  • your partner must also either
    1. be a British citizen
    2. have settled in the UK
    3. have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK
  • you must be able to prove you are in a genuine relationship
  • you need to prove you have a good knowledge of English
  • if you are applying as a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner, you must prove that any previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended
  • you are able to financially support yourself and your dependants
  • you plan to marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK

How can I settle in the UK under a Spouse Visa?

After a 5 years period under a family visa as a partner, you can apply for settlement (Indefinite leave to remain) in the UK if you meet the relevant requirements. You are also entitled to apply for British citizenship immediately after you obtain an indefinite leave to remain status, and do not have to spend 12 months in the UK becoming a permanent resident.

Under the 5-year route to settlement, you must pass:

  • the Life in the UK Test
  • an English language test

You also need to meet the financial requirements by proving you have the following income:

  • £18,600 for each year for you and your partner
  • £22,400 if you are including 1 child
  • £2,400 for each additional child

To give your case the best chance of success, get in touch

To give your visa the best chance of success, and to reduce your stress, please contact our immigration experts.

If you wish to speak directly with one of our immigration specialists to get advice about business and personal immigration, or education in the UK and other visa issues, then please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone T: +44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form. You can also email us at More information can be found from Contact Us.  

*Disclaimer: The above information is for general reference only. Specialist legal advice should be sought.