British National (Overseas) Visa

British National (Overseas) Visa

What is a British National (Overseas) Visa?

The British National (Overseas) Visa, often referred to as the BNO Visa, presents an exciting opportunity for British nationals (overseas) from Hong Kong to establish themselves in the UK. This visa enables you to live, work, study, and thrive in the UK alongside your family. Whether you’re a British National (Overseas) passport holder or the child of a British national (overseas) born on or after 1 July 1997, and your permanent residence is either in Hong Kong or the UK and Crown Dependencies, you are eligible to embark on this journey. You can initiate your application from either inside or outside the UK.

Key points
  • A route for those British Nationals (Overseas) to build a new life in the UK with their family.
  • Maintenance requirements apply to ensure a stable start.
  • An application fee and immigration health surcharge are part of the process
  • Family members can join you – however, there is a specific timeframe for them to apply. Please contact us for the details.
  • The initial visa is granted for either 2 years and 6 months or 5 years.
  • You can extend your visa to stay longer, and there is no limit to the number of extensions possible under this route.

How long can you stay?

For your initial application, you’ll receive permission to stay in the UK for either 2 years and 6 months or 5 years. If you wish to continue your stay, you can apply for extensions, and there’s no limit to the number of extensions you can pursue under this route.

What are the eligibility requirements for a British National (Overseas) Visa?

To be eligible for the British National (Overseas) Visa, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You are a British national (overseas) or the child of a British national (overseas) born on or after 1 July 1997.
  • You are 18 years or older.
  • Your permanent residence must be in either Hong Kong, if applying from outside the UK, or in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, or Hong Kong, if applying within the UK.


To give your case the best chance of success, get in touch

To give your visa the best chance of success, and to reduce your stress, please contact our immigration experts.

If you wish to speak directly with one of our immigration specialists to get advice about business and personal immigration, or education in the UK and other visa issues, then please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone T:+44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form. You can also email us at More information can be found from Contact Us.

* Disclaimer: The above information is for general reference only. Specialist legal advice should be sought.

Latest update: August 2023