Business Representative Visa


If you are from outside the EEA and Switzerland and you are either:

  •  the sole representative of an overseas company planning to set up a UK branch or a wholly owned subsidiary for an overseas parent company, or
  • an employee of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation posted on a long-term assignment to the UK

This category provides a good opportunity for both the representative and the company to develop their business in the UK. The initial visa duration is 3 years and it is possible to extend the visa for up to 2 further years if you meet the eligibility requirements. The representative can bring his/her family with him/her to the UK as well.

Key points

  • Route for those recruited and employed outside the UK to come to the UK to set up a UK branch or wholly owned subsidiary of an overseas parent company (sole representative); or as an employee of an overseas media company posted on long term assignment to the UK
  • Can bring family
  • Must have SELT at least A1 level (a “young learner” basic and beginner level)
  • Must meet maintenance requirements
  • Visa valid for 3 years
  • Possible to extend for 2 years
  • This route can lead to settlement


As a sole representative of a company which wants to extend their business to the UK, you must:

  • be recruited and employed outside the UK by a company whose headquarters and principal place of business are outside the UK
  • have extensive related industry experience and knowledge
  • hold a senior position within the company (but not be a major shareholder) and have full authority to make decisions on its behalf
  • intend to establish the company’s first commercial presence in the UK, eg a registered branch or a wholly owned subsidiary
  • must meet the basic standard in English language (Common European Framework of Reference for Language (CEFR) level A1 in speaking and listening)
  • have your tuberculosis test results if you are from a country where you have to take the test

    Contact Us

    To give your case the best chance of success, get in touch

    To give your visa the best chance of success, and to reduce your stress, please contact our immigration experts.

    If you wish to speak directly with one of our immigration specialists to get advice about business and personal immigration, or education in the UK and other visa issues, then please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone T: +44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form. You can also email us at More information can be found from Contact Us.