Child Student Visa

Child Student Visa

What is Child Student Visa?

The new Child Student Visa is for children aged between 4 and 17 years old who wish to come to the UK to be educated at one of the UK many independent schools. The government introduced this visa type as a replacement of Tier 4 Child visa.

You must have an unconditional offer of a place on a course at an independent school and also be able to support yourself in the UK and pay for your course. A consent of your parent or guardian to study in the UK is essential to apply for this visa.

What are the eligibility requirements for a Child Student Visa?

  • route for those aged 4 – 17 to study in the UK
  • must have unconditional offer and parental/guardian consent
  • must have sufficient means to pay the course fees and support you in the UK – you may not need to prove you have money to support yourself if you are from a listed ‘differential evidence requirement’ country
  • the student can be accompanied by one parent/guardian
  • visa valid for duration of course plus 4 months in general
  • no fixed path but settlement is possible if applicants meet certain conditions
  • applicants need to provide tuberculosis test results if they are from a designated country

What are the course requirements?

You must have an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Child Student sponsor. Your education provider will send you a reference number (CAS) once they have offered you a place on the course.

You can do a course at an independent school that’s taught in line with one of the following

  • the national curriculum
  • the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) at level 3 or below
  • independent school education inspection standards, or
  • a course that is accepted as being at the same academic level.

Please note that if the applicant is over 16, then there is a possibility for work placement under certain circumstances

To give your case the best chance of success, get in touch

To give your visa the best chance of success, and to reduce your stress, please contact our immigration experts.

If you wish to speak directly with one of our immigration specialists to get advice about business and personal immigration, or education in the UK and other visa issues, then please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone T: +44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form. You can also email us at More information can be found from Contact Us.  

*Disclaimer: The above information is for general reference only. Specialist legal advice should be sought.

Latest update: July 2021