UK Dependent Visa
What Is a UK Dependant Visa?
A UK Dependant visa is designed to allow immediate family members residing overseas to join their UK visa holder family members. This visa category applies to various visa types, including work, study, business, and ancestry visas, permitting visa holders to bring their dependent family members to the UK.
Eligibility for a UK Dependant Visa
You can apply for a UK Dependant visa if you are a dependent family member of an individual holding a UK work, study, business, or ancestry visa. A ‘dependent’ is defined as a partner or child of the primary visa holder. The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Partners: Partners must either be married or in a civil partnership with the primary visa holder, or they must have cohabited for at least 2 years.
- Children: Children applying for a Dependant Visa must be under 18 years of age or, if 16 years or older, must rely on the primary visa holder for support. This means they must not live independently, reside with the primary visa holder (unless attending boarding school or university), and receive financial support from the primary visa holder.
Requirements for a UK Dependant Visa
The general requirements for a UK dependant visa include:
- demonstrating that you meet the relationship requirements as a dependant family member.
- proving that you have the financial means to support yourself while in the UK.
- establishing your identity and relationship to the visa holder.
- confirming your intention to live together with the sponsor during your stay in the UK.
Please note that the specific requirements for a Dependant Visa in the UK may vary depending on the type of visa held by the sponsor, (i.e., the primary visa holder).
Duration of Stay with a UK Dependent Visa
Dependant visas are typically granted for the same duration as the primary visa holder’s permission to stay in the UK. For instance, if the primary visa holder has a 2-year visa, the Dependant visa will also be granted for 2 years.
Conditions of a Dependant Visa
Dependant visa holders enjoy significant flexibility, allowing them to live, work, study, and travel freely. Notably, dependants do not require sponsorship to work in the UK and have the freedom to change jobs and employers without seeking permission from the Home Office.
How We Can Assist You
Our team of qualified and experienced immigration lawyers has successfully processed numerous family visas. We understand the complexities and challenges of the visa application process, particularly when it involves reuniting with your family. From the initial consultation, we will guide you through each stage of the application process, ensuring all necessary steps are taken to maximize the likelihood of a successful outcome.
To give your case the best chance of success, get in touch
To give your visa the best chance of success, and to reduce your stress, please contact our immigration experts.
If you wish to speak directly with one of our immigration specialists to get advice about business and personal immigration, or education in the UK and other visa issues, then please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone T: +44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form. You can also email us at email@example.com. More information can be found from Contact Us.
*Disclaimer: The above information is for general reference only. Specialist legal advice should be sought.
Latest update: August 2023