Family Visa – Child

Family Visa – Child

Who can apply for a Family Visa as a Child?

You can apply for a family visa to join your parent in the UK if you are a child. However, there are specific circumstances to consider:

  • Parent’s Status: You may not need a Family Visa if at least one of your parents has indefinite leave to remain or proof of permanent residence. In such cases, you should check if you are eligible to apply to settle in the UK.
  • In the UK: If your parent cannot include you in their application form and you are already in the UK, you may be eligible to apply for Private Life in the UK.
  • EU Settlement Scheme: If your parent has settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, you might be able to apply through this scheme for free.

If you were born in the UK

If you were born in the UK, you will receive the same permission to stay in the UK as your parent.

  • Under 18: If you are under 18, you can either be added to your parent’s next application as a dependant or apply separately.
  • Over 18: If you are over 18, you can only be included in your parent’s application as a dependent if you got permission to come to or stay in the UK on a family visa when you were under 18 and you do not live an independent life. Living an independent life means you have either left home, got married, or had your own children.

If you were born outside the UK

If you were born outside the UK, the eligibility criteria depend on your age and your parent’s immigration status.

  • Under 18: If you are under 18, you must not be married, in a civil partnership, or living an independent life. You must also be able to financially support yourself without public funds. One of your parents must be applying or have applied for a visa or an extension of their permission to stay as a:
    1. Partner, and the partner they are joining is your other parent.
    2. Parent, and they have sole parental responsibility for you (see Family Visa – Parent).
  • Over 18: You can only apply when you are over 18 if you had permission to stay in the UK on a family visa when you were under 18 and you do not live an independent life.

How we can help

Our qualified and experienced immigration solicitors have successfully processed numerous family visa applications. We understand how stressful and confusing the visa application process can be, especially when it involves reuniting with your family. From the first meeting, we will assist you with each stage of application process and ensure that everything is done to maximize the chance of your application being successful.

To give your case the best chance of success, get in touch

To give your visa the best chance of success, and to reduce your stress, please contact our immigration experts.

If you wish to speak directly with one of our immigration specialists to get advice about business and personal immigration, or education in the UK and other visa issues, then please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone T: +44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form. You can also email us at More information can be found from Contact Us.  

*Disclaimer: The above information is for general reference only. Specialist legal advice should be sought.

Latest update: August 2023