Family Visa – Partner

Family Visa – Partner

What is a Family Visa – Partner?

A Family Visa as a Partner, commonly referred to as a Spouse Visa or Unmarried Partner Visa, is intended for those who wish to join their partner and establish permanent residency in the UK. This category also applies to individuals applying as fiancés, fiancées, or proposed civil partners. This application can be made from either outside or inside the UK.

How long can you stay?

For the initial application, you will be granted permission to stay in the UK for 2 years and 9 months, or for 6 months if you are applying as a fiancé, fiancée, or proposed civil partner. Following this period, you will need to apply to extend your stay, typically for an additional 30 months (2 years and 6 months).

What are the eligibility requirements for a Spouse Visa?

To be eligible for a Spouse Visa, you and your partner must meet the following criteria:

  • both you and your partner must be 18 or older.
  • your partner must also meet one of the following criteria:
    1. be a British or Irish citizen.
    2. have settled status in the UK.
    3. be from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status.
    4. hold a Turkish Businessperson visa or Turkish Worker visa.
    5. have protection status in the UK, such as leave to remain as a refugee, permission to stay as a refugee, or a person with humanitarian protection.
  • you and your partner must have the intention to live together permanently in the UK after your application.
  • your relationship must fall into one of the following categories:
    1. you are in a civil partnership or marriage recognized in the UK.
    2. you have cohabited in a relationship for at least 2 years at the time of application.
    3. you are a fiancé, fiancée, or proposed civil partner and plan to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arrival.
  • you must demonstrate proficiency in English.
  • you should be capable of financially support yourself and your dependants.

Please note that there are specific rules governing the submission of proof of your income to demonstration your capability to financially support yourself and your dependents. Please contact us for a detailed consultation regarding the financial requirements of this visa type.

How can I settle in the UK under a Spouse Visa?

You can apply for ‘indefinite leave to remain’ in the UK, which allows you to settle permanently, after living in the UK continuously for 5 years on a family visa as a partner. Following this, you are also eligible to apply for British citizenship without the need to spend an additional 12 months in the UK as a permanent resident.

Difference Between Spouse Visa and Dependent Visa

A Spouse Visa allows eligible foreign nationals to join and live with their partner in the UK, provided their partner is a British citizen or a settled person.

A Dependant Visa, on the other hand, permits immediate family members of UK visa holders to come to the UK. Various visa types, including work, study (at a certain level), business, and ancestry visas, allow holders to bring dependent family members to the UK.

How We Can Assist You

Our team of qualified and experienced immigration lawyers has successfully processed numerous family visa applications. We understand the complexities and challenges of the visa application process, especially when it involves reuniting with your family. From the initial consultation, we will guide you through each stage of the application process, ensuring all necessary steps are taken to enhance the likelihood of a successful outcome.


To give your case the best chance of success, get in touch

To give your visa the best chance of success, and to reduce your stress, please contact our immigration experts.

If you wish to speak directly with one of our immigration specialists to get advice about business and personal immigration, or education in the UK and other visa issues, then please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone T: +44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form. You can also email us at More information can be found from Contact Us.  

*Disclaimer: The above information is for general reference only. Specialist legal advice should be sought.

Latest update: August 2023