Graduate Visa

Graduate Visa

What is Graduate Visa?

If you are successfully completing a course in the UK and you are currently in the UK, a Graduate Visa will allow you to stay in the UK for at least 2 years. You can look for work, work in most jobs, be self-employed or do voluntary work, and you are able to travel abroad and return to the UK freely.

Key Points
  • a route for international student to be able to stay in the UK after completing their course
  • the Graduate Visa may be granted either 2 years or 3 years
  • can apply as soon as your education provider has told you that you have successfully completed the course you took with your Student Visa or Tier 4 (General) Student Visa
  • extension is impossible but it is possible to switch to a different visa
  • can bring family – if they joined you in the UK as ‘dependents’ on your current Student Visa or Tier 4 (General) Student Visa

What is the eligibility requirements for a Graduate Visa?

You can apply for a Graduate visa if all of the following are true

  • you are in the UK
  • your current visa type is Student Visa or Tier 4 (General) Student Visa
  • you studied a UK bachelor’s degree, postgraduate degree or other eligible course for a minimum period of time with your Student Visa or Tier 4 (General) Student Visa
  • you have successfully completed that course

How long can you stay?

A Graduate visa lasts for 2 years. If you have a PHD or other doctoral qualification, it will last for 3 years.


To give your case the best chance of success, get in touch

To give your visa the best chance of success, and to reduce your stress, please contact our immigration experts.

If you wish to speak directly with one of our immigration specialists to get advice about business and personal immigration, or education in the UK and other visa issues, then please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone T:+44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form. You can also email us at More information can be found from Contact Us.

* Disclaimer: The above information is for general reference only. Specialist legal advice should be sought.

Latest update: July 2021