Medical Treatment Visa

Medical Treatment Visa

Who can apply for a Medical Treatment Visa?

The Standard Visitor Visa has replaced the previous Private Medical Treatment Visitor Visa. If you intend to come to the UK for private medical treatment or organ donation, you need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa to enter the UK.

What can you do in the UK?

If you are visiting the UK for medical reasons, you can have provide medical treatment at a hospital or other medical facilty. You can also visit to donate an organ to a family mumber or close friend.

How long can you stay?

You can usually stay in the UK for up to 6 months.

However, if you come to the UK for private medical treatment then you might be able to stay up to 11 months.

What are the eligibility requirements of a Medical Treatment Visa?

There are the standard Visitor Visa requirements where you must always show that you:

  • will leave the UK at the end of your visit
  • will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or succesive visits, or make the UK your main home
  • can support yourself and any dependents for the duration of your trip
  • can pay for your return or onward journey and any other costs relating to your visit
  • have proof of any activities you want to do in the UK, as allowed by the Visitor Rules.

For people who apply to visit for private medical treatment

Apart from meeting the general requirements, you must also prove that you:

  • have a medical condition that needs private consultation or treatment in the UK
  • have made arrangements for consultations or treatment
  • will leave the UK once your treatment is completed, or when your visa expires
  • have enough money or funding to pay for your treatment
  • are not a danger to public health if you are suffering from an infectious disease, such as leprosy

For people who apply as an organ donor

You can only visit the UK to donate organs to:

  • a family member who you are genetically related to (for example your sibling or parent)
  • someone you have a close personal relationship with (for example your spouse or friend)

You must prove that the person you are donating an organ to is legally allowed to be in the UK.

To give your case the best chance of success, get in touch

To give your visa the best chance of success, and to reduce your stress, please contact our immigration experts.

If you wish to speak directly with one of our immigration specialists to get advice about business and personal immigration, or education in the UK and other visa issues, then please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone T: +44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form. You can also email us at More information can be found from Contact Us.  

*Disclaimer: The above information is for general reference only. Specialist legal advice should be sought.

Latest update: July 2021