Short-term Study Visa

Short-term Study Visa

Who can apply for a Short-term Study Visa?

You can apply for a Short-term Study visa if:

  • you are doing a short course of study in the UK
  • you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
  • you meet the other eligibility requirements

What are the restrictions?

You can:

  • do a short course of study in the UK, such as an English language course or a training course
  • do a short period of research as part of a degree course if you are studying abroad

You cannot:

  • study at a state-funded school
  • work (including on a work placement or work experience) or carry out any business
  • extend this visa
  • bring family members with you – they must apply separately
  • get public funds

What are the eligibility requirements for a Short-term Study Visa?

  • you must have been offered a place on a course in the UK at an accepted place of study
  • you must have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or be able to show that relatives and friends can support and house you
  • you must establish that you can pay for your return or onward journey
  • if you are under 18 you must also:
    1. have made arrangements for your travel and stay in the UK
    2. have permission from you parent or guardian to study in the UK

What are the differences between a Short-term Study Visa and Tier 4 Student Visa?

Short-term Study Visa Advantages

  • quicker to obtain
  • no CAS required
  • no set amount of money required in bank account
  • no requirement about your English language ability
  • application fee is £97.00
  • can apply from any country
  • course can be any number of hours per week and any duration up to 6 months

Short-term Study Visa Disadvantages

  • maximum duration is for 6 months
  • not possible to extend
  • cannot switch to any other visa type within the UK
  • cannot undertake any kind of work during your stay
  • cannot undertake any placements in the UK

Tier 4 Student Visa Advantages

  • can undertake part-time work in the UK with restrictions
  • can undertake placements as part of your studies
  • may be able extend your visa in the UK
  • multi-entry visa issued
  • can usually switch to a different type of visa from within the UK if you are eligible

Tier 4 Student Visa Disadvantages

  • must have CAS from a university or independent school
  • application fee is £348.00
  • very strict rules must be followed regarding the documents required
  • must have a set amount of funds to cover living costs and tuition fees in a bank account for 28 days
  • must pay an immigration healthcare surcharge
  • academic sponsor must monitor your attendance throughout your studies and report to the Home Office

To give your case the best chance of success, get in touch

To give your visa the best chance of success, and to reduce your stress, please contact our immigration experts.

If you wish to speak directly with one of our immigration specialists to get advice about business and personal immigration, or education in the UK and other visa issues, then please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone T: +44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form. You can also email us at More information can be found from Contact Us.  

*Disclaimer: The above information is for general reference only. Specialist legal advice should be sought.