Start-up Visa

Start-up Visa

The new start-up visa is for individuals who seek to set up their own businesses in the UK for the first time. The government introduced this visa type as a replacement of the Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur Visa on 29th March 2019.

If you want to make an initial application under the Start-up visa route, you need to have an innovative, viable and scalable business idea supported by an endorsing body. This route is initially granted for a 2-year period and settlement is impossible under this route. However, you may progress into the Innovator Visa route after 2-year leave to remain.

Key Points
  • Route for starting a new business in the UK for the first time
  • An innovative, viable and scalable business idea
  • Maintenance and English language requirements 
  • Maximum 2 years granted, switching to the Innovator visa is possible
  • Possible to apply as an entrepreneurial team
  • At least £50,000 investment funds required to switch to the Innovator visa
  • Must be 18-year old or above
  • Can bring family

Who can switch to the Start-up Visa route?

The following types of visa can switch to the Start-up visa within the UK:

 What are the endorsement criteria?

A business plan is essential for the endorsement application, also other supporting documentation. Please see the below following requirements:

  • Innovation: the business plan must be genuine and original.  The plan must meet market needs and creates a competitive advantage.
  • Viability: the applicant’s skills, knowledge, experience and market awareness to run the business.
  • Scalability: the structured planning, potential for job creation and growth into national markets.


To give your case the best chance of success, get in touch

To give your visa the best chance of success, to reduce stress, please contact our immigration experts.

If you wish to speak directly with one of our specialists,  please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone.

T: +44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form.

E: More information can be found in Contact Us.  

*Disclaimer: The above information is for general reference only. Specialist legal advice should be sought.

Latest update: April 2019