Student Visa

Student Visa

What is Student Visa

The new Student Visa provides an opportunity to those overseas students who want to achieve a higher academic goal in the UK. The government introduced this visa type as a replacement of Tier 4 General Visa on 5th October 2020.

When you receive an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed student sponsor, they will issue you a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), which has a unique reference number and contains information about the course of study for which it has been issued and the student’s personal details. You need the CAS to apply your Student Visa.

  • route for people over 16 to study in the UK
  • must have an unconditional offer of a place on a course to study
  • must have sufficient means to pay the course fees
  • maintenance and English language requirements apply – you may not need to prove you have money to support yourself if you are from a ‘differential evidence requirement’ listed country
  • can bring family – restrictions apply
  • visa duration depends on the length of your course and what study you have already completed
  • no fixed path to settlement but settlement is possible
  • tuberculosis test results are required if you are from a designated country

If you are between 4-17 and seek for private education in the UK, please see Child Student Visa.

If you come to the UK for short-term study, please see Short-term Study Visa.

The course can be

  • a full-time course leading to a qualification that is below degree level with at least 15 hours a week of organised daytime study
  • a full-time course leading to a qualification that is degree level or above
  • a full-time course at degree level or above that is equivalent to a UK higher education course and is being delivered as part of a longer course overseas
  • a part-time course leading to a qualification that is above degree level
  • a recognised foundation programme for postgraduate doctors or dentists
  • an English language course at level B2 or above

Extend your visa

It is possible to extend your Student Visa to stay longer and continue your course or study a new course. You must:

  • be in the UK on a Student visa or a previous Tier 4 (General) student visa
  • have an unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed student sponsor – shown by your CAS
  • show ‘academic progression’  – that your studies will be at a higher academic level than your current course.

To Give Your Visa the Best Chance to Success, Get in Touch

To give your visa the best chance to success and enjoy the hassle-free experience with full support of Latta International’s experienced immigration experts, or if you wish to speak directly with one of our immigration specialists to discuss and answer any questions about business and personal immigration, education in the UK and other visa issues, please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone T: +44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form. You can also email us More information can be found from Contact Us.  

*Disclaimer: The above information is for general reference only. Specialist legal advice should be sought.

Latest update: July 2021