Tourist and Family Visitor Visa

Tourist and Family Visitor Visa

What is a Tourist and Family Visitor Visa?

If you want to visit the UK for a short period of time, you can generally apply for a Standard Visitor Visa as a tourist and family visitor. You can either visit the UK on holiday or to see your family and friends. It is also possible to apply for business or other reasons. Check if you need a visitor visa on the Home Office website or Contact Us.

Please note that UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requires you to apply for the visa that you are eligible for. If you are a parent of a Child Student Visa holder and intend to visit them in the UK, you need to apply for Parent of a Child Student Visa.

How long you can stay in the UK?

You can usually stay in the UK for up to 6 months under tourist and family visitor visa. If you need to visit the UK regularly over a longer period of time, then you can apply for a long-term Standard Visitor Visa that lasts either 2, 5 or 10 years. You need to keep in mind that you can only stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit even you have a long-term visitor visa.

What are the eligibility requirements?

Standard Visitor Visa

You must show taht you

  • will leave the UK at the end of your visit
  • will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK your main home
  •  can support yourself and any dependents for the duration of your trip and pay for your return or onward journey and any other costs
  • if you are applying for a long-term Standard Visitor visa, you must prove that you
    1. will only intend to come to the UK to visit
    2. plan to leave the UK at the end of each visit
  • you must have proof of any business or other activities you want to do in the UK, as allowed by the Visitor Rules.

Parent of a Child Student Visa

Apart from the requirements for a Standard Visitor Visa, you must meet the following requirements to be eligible for this category

  • be the only parent accompanying your child in the UK
  • have enough money to support yourself and your child in the UK
  • maintain a second home outside the UK
  • plan to leave the UK when your visa expires

Your child must

  • be aged between 4 and 11
  • be attending an independent fee-paying school in the UK


To give your case the best chance of success, get in touch

To give your visa the best chance of success, and to reduce your stress, please contact our immigration experts.

If you wish to speak directly with one of our immigration specialists to get advice about business and personal immigration, or education in the UK and other visa issues, then please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone T: +44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form. You can also email us at More information can be found from Contact Us.  

*Disclaimer: The above information is for general reference only. Specialist legal advice should be sought.

Latest update: July 2021