Tourist and Family Visitor Visa
What is a Tourist and Family Visitor Visa?
A Tourist and Family Visitor Visa is designed for individuals who wish to visit the UK for a short period. This visa category allows you to visit the UK for various purposes, including tourism, visiting family and friends, business trips, and more. To determine whether you require a visitor visa, you can check the Home Office website or contact us for guidance.
Please note that UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requires you to apply for the visa that you are eligible for. If you are a parent of a Child Student Visa holder and intend to visit them in the UK, you need to apply for Parent of a Child Student Visa.
Duration of Stay
Generally, under a Tourist and Family Visitor Visa, you can stay in the UK for up to 6 months. If you anticipate the need to visit the UK regularly over an extended period, you can apply for a long-term Standard Visitor Visa, which can be valid for 2, 5, or 10 years. However, even with a long-term visa, you can only stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit.
To be eligible for a Tourist and Family Visitor Visa, you must demonstrate the following:
- Intention to Leave: You must show that you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit and will not reside in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits. The UK cannot become your main home.
- Financial Capability: You should be able to support yourself and any dependents during your trip, as well as cover the cost of your return or onward journey and any other expenses.
- Purpose of Visit: If applying for a long-term Standard Visitor Visa, you must prove that your intention is solely to visit the UK and that you plan to leave at the end of each visit. Additionally, you must provide proof of any business or other activities you intend to undertake in the UK, in accordance with the Visitor Rules.
Required Documents and information
To apply for this visa, you will need:
- A valid passport or travel document that covers the entire duration of your stay in the UK and has a blank page for your visa.
- Details to be provided in your online application, including:
- dates of travel to the UK.
- accommodation details for your visit.
- estimated trip expenses.
- your current home address and residence duration.
- parents’ names and dates of birth (if known).
- your annual income (if applicable).
- information about any criminal, civil, or immigration offenses you may have committed.
Depending on your circumstances, additional information may be required, such as:
- travel history for the past 10 years.
- your employer’s address and telephone number.
- your partner’s name, date of birth, and passport number.
- details of anyone financially supporting your trip.
- names, addresses, and passport numbers of any family members in the UK.
- a certificate proving that you’ve had a tuberculosis (TB) test if your visit exceeds 6 months.
Applying for a Tourist and Family Visitor Visa can be a complex process, and our experienced immigration solicitors are here to guide you through it. We understand the nuances and challenges involved and will assist you at every stage to maximize the likelihood of a successful application.
To give your case the best chance of success, get in touch
To give your visa the best chance of success, and to reduce your stress, please contact our immigration experts.
If you wish to speak directly with one of our immigration specialists to get advice about business and personal immigration, or education in the UK and other visa issues, then please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone T: +44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form. You can also email us at email@example.com. More information can be found from Contact Us.
*Disclaimer: The above information is for general reference only. Specialist legal advice should be sought.
Latest update: August 2023