Tourist and Family Visitor Visa
What is a Tourist and Family Visitor Visa?
If you want to visit the UK for a short period of time and you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you can generally apply for a Standard Visitor Visa as a tourist and family visitor. You can either visit the UK on holiday or to see your family and friends. It is also possible to apply for business or other reasons. Check if you need a visitor visa on the Home Office website or Contact Us.
Please bear in mind that UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requires you to apply for the visa that you are eligible for. If you are a parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa holder and intend to visit them in the UK, you need to apply for Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa. If you intend to visit the UK in a Chinese tour group, you need to apply for an Approved Destination Status (ADS) visa through your travel agent.
How long you can stay in the UK?
You can usually stay in the UK for up to 6 months under tourist and family visitor visa. If you need to visit the UK regularly over a longer period of time, then you can apply for a long-term Standard Visitor Visa that lasts either 2, 5 or 10 years. You need to keep in mind that you can only stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit even you have a long-term visitor visa. If you are a Chinese citizen and visit the UK as part of a tour group through the ADS agreement, then the length of stay is up to 30 days.
What are the eligibility requirements?
Standard Visitor Visa
- you must leave the UK at the end of your visit
- you must show you can support yourself and any dependents for the duration of your trip and pay for your return or onward journey and any other costs
- if you are applying for a long-term Standard Visitor visa, you must prove that you
- only intend to come to the UK to visit
- plan to leave the UK at the end of each visit
- you must have proof of any business or other activities you want to do in the UK, as allowed by the Visitor Rules.
Parent of a Tier 4 Child Visa
Apart from the requirements for a Standard Visitor Visa, you must maintain a second home outside the UK to be eligible for this category.
Your child must
- be under 12
- be studying at or about to start studying at an independent fee-paying day school in the UK
ADS Chinese Tour Group
- your tour must be organised by an ADS licensed Chinese tour operator
- you must enter the country as part of your tour group (minimum 5 people) and stay with the group for the whole of your visit.
- you must leave the UK when your ADS visa expires and cannot extend this visa.
To give your case the best chance of success, get in touch
To give your visa the best chance of success, and to reduce your stress, please contact our immigration experts.
If you wish to speak directly with one of our immigration specialists to get advice about business and personal immigration, or education in the UK and other visa issues, then please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone T: +44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form. You can also email us at email@example.com. More information can be found from Contact Us.
*Disclaimer: The above information is for general reference only. Specialist legal advice should be sought.