Family Visa – Parent
What is a Family Visa as a Parent?
A Family Visa as a Parent, also known as UK Parent Visa, is a type of visa for parents who wish to reside in the UK to care for their child. The child must be living in the UK with one of the following categories of status:
- they are a British or Irish citizen
- they have settled in the UK – for example, they have Indefinite Leave to Remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence
- they are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and have pre-settled status
- if you are applying in the UK, they have lived in the UK for 7 years continuously and it would not be reasonable for them to leave.
Please note that if you are eligible to apply As a Partner, you should pursue that route instead of applying as a parent.
How long you can stay?
When you initial visa is granted, you will receive permission to stay for 2 years and 9 months. Following this period. you will need to apply to extend your stay for an additional 2 years and 6 months.
What are the eligibility requirements for the Family Visa as a Parent?
To be eligible for a Family Visa – Parent, you must meet the following requirements:
- your child must either be under 18 at the time of your application or have been under 18 when you initially applied for the visa and not be living an independent life
- your child must be living in the UK with one of the specified statuses mentioned earlier in this page.
Additionally, you, as the parent, must meet the following requirements:
- prove that you are actively involved in your child’s upbringing and intend to continue your role after you apply
- demonstrate a good knowledge of English
- be capable of financially supporting yourself and your child without relying on public funds
It is important to note that specific requirements may apply to certain conditions. For personalised guidance tailored to your circumstances, please contact us for an initial consultation.
How can I settle in the UK under this visa?
You can apply for ‘indefinite leave to remain’ in the UK after continuously living in the country for 5 years on a family visa as a parent. It’s important to note that time spent in the UK under any other visa category cannot be included in this 5-year period.
How We Can Assist You
Our team of qualified and experienced immigration lawyers has successfully processed numerous family visa applications. We understand the complexities and challenges of the visa application process, especially when it involves reuniting with your family. From the initial consultation, we will guide you through each stage of the application process, ensuring that all necessary steps are taken to maximize the likelihood of a successful outcome.
To give your case the best chance of success, get in touch
To give your visa the best chance of success, and to reduce your stress, please contact our immigration experts.
If you wish to speak directly with one of our immigration specialists to get advice about business and personal immigration, or education in the UK and other visa issues, then please contact our Glasgow Head Office on Phone T: +44 (0)141 212 3355 or request a call back by completing the Online Form. You can also email us at email@example.com. More information can be found from Contact Us.
*Disclaimer: The above information is for general reference only. Specialist legal advice should be sought.
Latest update: August 2023